|This feature is available in-game|
This page is part of the Unknown Horizons Design Document and the proposed features have been implemented.
The article reflects the design at that point. For new features or improvements, please create an own article or tickets instead of editing this page!
The market place is or rather should be the center of a town. Its main and most probably only function is to supply the inhabitants of a settlement with needed goods. Inhabitants can collect goods there and only there. So, the market place will be the first requirement to fulfill for a working settlement. Market places are also limited by their range (a pretty big range) which will consequently mean you will need more than one market place to completely cover all residents in you settlement. Several market places in bigger cities are not uncommon.
To avoid having too many market places - especially for closing small gaps in your accommodation - building class will additionally feature smaller buildings with less range (like shops, small bazaars or something) which will work very much like the market places.
Moreover the market place is an object of prestige. It will change every tier to reflect the settlements state of development. To make this happen successfully the size of the market place is the SAME in EVERY tier.
Finally the inventory of the market place will not be the settlement wide inventory used by branch offices or warehouses. The market places' inventory will only contain goods available for inhabitants resp. needed by them. To extend the functionality of this inventory it should be possible for players to:
- restrict goods availability for inhabitants.
- restrict the amount of available goods for habitant.
- raise value-added taxes for goods (maybe!).
Restrictions might be very helpful to avoid inhabitants using all available goods to update the residents in a new tier, or when the production of a new good has just started and the player want to ensure the full accommodation first.
See also Supplying buildings with goods.
- The market place needs individual graphics for each tier. The graphic features to reflect the development will be the ground, the market stalls and a well/fountain/statue (depending on tier.)
- The additional buildings (shops, bazaars and so on) will need graphics depending on which tier they will be available.
Nice ambient sounds for crowded places will increase game depth.
- First implement market place inventory and make inhabitants using the market place only to gather goods.
- Implement restrictions for goods.
- Implement the update function as soon as it is figured out how tier and building updates will work in detail.
- Implement taxes (if accepted by dev team) as soon as it is figured out how taxes will be handled.
Hopefully, next milestone.